BILL ANALYSIS
ACR 131
Page 1
Date of Hearing: March 22, 2010
ASSEMBLY COMMITTEE ON TRANSPORTATION
Bonnie Lowenthal, Chair
ACR 131 (Anderson) - As Amended: March 11, 2010
SUBJECT : State Route 94
SUMMARY : Designates a segment of State Route (SR) 94 as
Historic Highway Route 94. Specifically, this bill :
1)Recounts the history of SR 94, previously known as Campo Road
or Old Route 200.
2)Designates the segment of SR 94 from the junction of Jamacha
Road in Rancho San Diego to the eastern terminus at the
junction with Historic Highway Route 80 in Boulevard as
Historic Highway Route 94.
3)Requests the Department of Transportation (Caltrans) to
determine the cost of appropriate signs consistent with
signing requirements for the state highway system showing the
special Historic Highway Route 94 designation, and, upon
receiving donations from nonstate sources for that cost, to
facilitate the erection of those signs at appropriate
locations on SR 94.
EXISTING LAW : Assigns Caltrans the responsibility of operating
and maintaining state highways. This includes the installation
and maintenance of highway signs.
FISCAL EFFECT : Unknown
COMMENTS : According to the author, SR 94 is an important
transportation corridor with outstanding natural, cultural,
historic, and scenic qualities. It was previously known as
Campo Road or Old Route 200, which began as foot trails, and
with great labor was improved to accommodate wagons and
stagecoaches and, until 1918, was the main artery road from San
Diego, California to Yuma, Arizona. In 1829, the trails
provided access to the Jamul Rancho owned by Governor Don Pio
Pico and in the 1880s, Campo Road provided necessary and
difficult access for the backcountry pioneers to San Diego to
sell their products and secure needed supplies.
ACR 131
Page 2
The first telegraph line from San Diego to Arizona followed the
general route of Campo Road in 1874 and the first horseless
carriage trip on Campo Road from San Diego to Campo and back was
made in 1904 by John Gay of Lakeside.
The early Campo Road was used by the United States Military
during the Mexican Revolution in 1911, during World War I, and
extensively during World War II for support of Camp Lockett, the
last home of the famous Buffalo Soldiers of the 10th Cavalry of
the United States Army; and,
On August 21, 1933, the title to Old Route 200 was transferred
to the State of California and renamed Highway Route 94. The
beginning of SR 94 at the time of transfer was in Lemon Grove at
North Avenue and Imperial Avenue (now Lemon Grove Avenue),
continuing through Spring Valley, Jamul, Dulzura, Cottonwood
Grade, Potrero Grade, to Campo, then easterly along Campo Creek
and terminating at the junction of SR at White Star, a total
distance of about 66 miles.
REGISTERED SUPPORT / OPPOSITION :
Support
None received
Opposition
None received
Analysis Prepared by : Howard Posner / TRANS. / (916) 319-2093