BILL ANALYSIS
SENATE TRANSPORTATION & HOUSING COMMITTEE BILL NO: acr 131
SENATOR ALAN LOWENTHAL, CHAIRMAN AUTHOR: anderson
VERSION: 4/7/10
Analysis by: Art Bauer FISCAL: yes
Hearing date: May 4, 2010
SUBJECT:
Historic Highway Route 94
DESCRIPTION:
This resolution designates a 49-mile segment of State Highway
Route 94 in San Diego County Historic Route 94.
ANALYSIS:
The committee has adopted a policy that restricts designation of
a highway to segments of five miles in length. Although the
requested designation in this resolution is inconsistent with
the committee's policy, the 49-segment of SR 94 in its entirety
includes several historical sites and was a travel venue for
several significant events
This resolution designates the portion of State Highway Route
(SR) 94 from the junction of Jamacha Road in Rancho San Diego to
its terminus at the junction with Historic Highway Route 80 in
Boulevard as Historic Highway Route 94. This resolution further
asks the Department of Transportation (Caltrans) to determine
the cost of signs for the designation and facilitate erecting
the signs once enough non-state donations are received to cover
those costs.
COMMENTS:
1) Purpose of resolution . By designating SR 94 as an
historic highway, this resolution is memorializing the
importance of this highway in the development of San Diego
County.
ACR 131 (ANDERSON) Page 2
2) Summary of historic events associated with SR 94 .
According to the author, SR 94 is an important
transportation corridor with outstanding natural, cultural,
historic, and scenic qualities. It was previously known as
Campo Road or Old Route 200, which began as a network of
foot trails and was eventually improved to accommodate
wagons and stagecoaches. Until 1918, it was the main road
between San Diego and Yuma, Arizona.
By 1829, the trails provided access to the Jamul Rancho
owned by Don Pio Pico, the last Mexican governor of
California. Sufficient settlement had occurred by the
1880s, that Campo Road provided necessary, but difficult
access for the backcountry pioneers to San Diego to sell
their products and secure needed supplies. A trip of less
than two hour today took at least two days at that time.
The first telegraph line from San Diego to Arizona followed
the general route of Campo Road in 1874 and the first
horseless carriage trip on Campo Road from San Diego to
Campo and back was made in 1904 by John Gay of Lakeside.
Campo Road was used by the United States Military during
the Mexican Revolution in 1911, during World War I, and
extensively during World War II for support of Camp
Lockett, the last home of the famous Buffalo Soldiers of
the 10th Cavalry of the United States Army.
On August 21, 1933, the road was transferred to the State
of California and renamed SR 94. The beginning of SR 94 at
the time of the transfer was in the community of Lemon
Grove. The highway then proceeded through Spring Valley,
Jamul, Dulzura, Cottonwood Grade, Potrero Grade, Campo,
then easterly along Campo Creek and terminating at the
junction of SR 80 at White Star, a total distance of about
66 miles.
Assembly Votes:
Floor: 73-0
Appr: 15-0
Trans: 13-0
POSITIONS: (Communicated to the Committee before noon on
Wednesday,
April 28, 2010)
ACR 131 (ANDERSON) Page 3
SUPPORT: Highway 94 Club (co-sponsor)
San Diego East Visitors Bureau (co-sponsor)
Barrett Junction Caf? & Mercantile
Boulevard Planning Group
Campo Elementary School
Descanso Planning Group
Dulzura Caf?, Martha Hernandez proprietor
Jacumba Sponsor Group
Jim Lundquist
Kiwanis Club of Potrero-Tecate
Mountain Empire Campo Kiwanis
Pacific Southwest Railway Museum
Potrero Community Planning Group
Potrero Elementary School
Rural Economic Action League
Tecate Community Chamber of Commerce `
Veterans of Foreign Wars of the U.S. Campo
Mountain Empire Post No. 2080
OPPOSED: None received.