BILL NUMBER: ACR 154	AMENDED
	BILL TEXT

	AMENDED IN SENATE  AUGUST 27, 2010
	AMENDED IN ASSEMBLY  AUGUST 17, 2010
	AMENDED IN ASSEMBLY  AUGUST 5, 2010

INTRODUCED BY   Assembly Member Jeffries
   (Coauthors: Assembly Members Garrick and Miller)
   (Coauthor: Senator Dutton)

                        APRIL 12, 2010

   Relative to the  Yeager Family   E. L. Yeager
 Interchange.



	LEGISLATIVE COUNSEL'S DIGEST


   ACR 154, as amended, Jeffries.  Yeager Family 
 E. L. Yeager  Interchange.
   This measure would designate the interchange at State Highway
Route 60 and State Highway Route 15, in the County of Riverside, as
the  E. L.  Yeager  Family  Interchange.
This measure would also request the Department of Transportation to
determine the cost of appropriate signs showing this special
designation and, upon receiving donations from nonstate sources
covering those costs, to erect those signs.
   Fiscal committee: yes.



   WHEREAS, The Yeager family has been committed to great civic
service and charitable contributions in their community, and has been
involved in major construction projects that have improved
transportation throughout southern California; and
   WHEREAS, In 1918 Ernest Louis Yeager (1893-1979) moved to
Riverside, California from his home in Tomah, Wisconsin and founded
the E.L. Yeager Construction Company, Inc., in 1919; and
   WHEREAS, One year later Ernest married Emma Leah Stalder and
raised their three sons  , Jacques Stalder Yeager, E. Eugene
"Gene" Yeager, and Richard Allen Yeager  ; and 
   WHEREAS, The Yeager brothers grew up in Riverside and attended
Poly High School; and
   WHEREAS, The company began by building parking lots and city
streets in San Bernardino and, during the following decades, the
company became one of the state's largest civil engineering firms and
constructed a stretch of Historic Route 66, the road system around
the Hoover Dam, major portions of Interstate 15, and multiple
interchanges on State Highway Route 91; and
   WHEREAS, After  the two eldest brothers served in World
War II, they returned home to Riverside and joined their father
working in the company, and after  completing his service
with the United States Marine Corps, Richard  united with his
brothers   Allen Yeager, one of Ernest and Emma's sons,
joined his family  as a part of the company; and
   WHEREAS,  In 1952, after suffering from a series of
strokes, Ernest Yeager handed over the company to his sons, and the
Yeager brothers expanded the company to   Over the next
several decades, E. L. Yeager Construction Company expanded to be
 one of the top contractors in the state; and
   WHEREAS, Ernest passed away in 1979 and, later that year, after
working for the company and being involved in a variety of civic
roles  ,  including the Republican Central Committee,
Richard and his wife were killed in a car accident; and
   WHEREAS, Following the 1994 Northridge earthquake, the company was
given the contract to replace the twin 765 foot bridges of
Interstate 5 near Santa Clarita with only 130 days to complete the
project that would normally take more than a year, and yet the
company finished the project in only 100 days; and
   WHEREAS, In 1999, Emma Yeager passed away and is survived by her
two sons  Jacques and Gene  ; and 
   WHEREAS, When the Yeager Company was sold in 2002, it had grossed
over $285 million the prior year, making it among the state's top 10
contractors; and 
   WHEREAS, Beyond construction and development, the Yeager family
has been dedicated to the Inland Empire community; and
   WHEREAS, The Yeager family has developed strong relationships with
the University of California, Riverside, through gifts, service, and
partnerships from the university's founding, and in 1957 the Yeager
Company donated the concrete that became the "C" that now marks the
University of California, Riverside, above the skyline on Box Spring
Mountain; and
   WHEREAS, The Yeager family has served the community through many
charitable and civic organizations including United Way of the Inland
Valleys, the Board of Trustees of the University of California,
Riverside, the Regional Institute of Southern California, the General
George Patton Museum, the Greater Riverside Chambers of Commerce
Monday Morning Group, the Inland Empire Cultural Foundation, the
California Water Resource Administration, the Inland Empire Economic
Partnership, the March Air Field Museum Foundation, the Raincross
Club of Riverside, the Riverside Art Foundation, the Riverside County
Philharmonic Association, the Olive Crest Foundation, the Riverside
Art Museum Julia Morgan Society, the Mission Inn Foundation, and the
California Baptist University; and
   WHEREAS, In recognition of the Yeager family's great civic and
charitable contributions and service, as well as their major
construction projects improving the transportation and educational
infrastructure in southern California, it would be a fitting tribute
to designate the interchange at State Highway Route 60 and State
Highway Route 15, in the County of Riverside, as the  Yeager
Family   E. L. Yeager  Interchange; now, therefore,
be it
   Resolved by the Assembly of the State of California, the Senate
thereof concurring, That the Legislature hereby designates the
interchange at State Highway Route 60 and State Highway Route 15, in
the County of Riverside, as the  Yeager Family  
E. L. Yeager  Interchange; and be it further
   Resolved, That the Department of Transportation is requested to
determine the cost of appropriate signs consistent with the signing
requirements for the state highway system showing this special
designation and, upon receiving donations from nonstate sources
sufficient to cover the cost, to erect those signs; and be it further

   Resolved, That the Chief Clerk of the Assembly transmit copies of
this resolution to the Department of Transportation and to the author
for appropriate distribution.